:: Board index  :: Feed  :: Clan Rules  :: Clan Ranks  :: Join Us  :: About Us  :: Donate  ::  Register ::  FAQ ::  Search :: Login ::  Cw Channel ::  Discord Invite :: 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Monster Madness: Battle For Suburbia
Cw Founder
Cw Founder
Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia
Sun Jun 17, 2007
First off let me say this game can be great fun. With the four player co-op play to boot. Second I would like to add this review will be a mix of my words and the manuals. Mainly the use of the manual to explain gametypes and such.

Anyways, this game is a fun filled zombie game. A mix of monsters and goodies you can use. So expect a crazy fun time alone or with friends. It is set to be a humor style zombie game, so don't expect a Resident Evil like game here.

Controls:
This game takes a little time to get use to. There is a mix of over the head view and third person style view. So you will be switching time to time. With this happening you have to understand and some times be ready to switch up. Anyways, the controls are pretty basic move with the left stick and aim with the right joystick. The only problem is you have to be use to the circle movement that is used.

For aiming you are have a circle around you're character. You have to use the right joystick in a manner of how it is displayed on the screen. Meaning if you want to turn your character to the bottom left you turn the joystick to that point. While some weapons in this game do have retical to help aim. Though it still will get you no where fast if you are not use to it.

Characters:
This game has four characters. Each one have there own special moves and weapons. Here I will be telling you a little about them and taking a little from the manual. To let you know a little more about the characters.

Zack:
This kid is the nerd style kid. He collects action figures, likes conventions, the works.
Specialty Weapon Type: Axes
Hobbies: Video Games, Comic Books, Mechanical Mastery

Carrie:
She is a gothic style person. Black clothing, the works.
Specialty Weapon Type: Swords
Hobbies: Kendo Practice, Meditation, Holding Seances

Andy:
He is the skater, slacker, and trouble making style person. Need I say more?
Specialty Weapon Type: Plunger or Hockey Stick
Hobbies: Skateboarding, Spray Painting, Slacking

Jennifer:
She is one of the popular kids. All stuck up, shallow, the works talking.
Specialty Weapon Type: Dual Batons
Hobbies: C-H-E-E-R-L-E-A-D-I-N-G!

Player Monsters:
Let me start of by saying this is what sets this game apart from other zombie style games. While in a game if you get a Monster Amulet, you can use it to turn into a monster. You do have a set time of use on the amulet and you can only use it onces.

Werewolf:
Turning into one of these you have a pretty basic set of moves. There is the right trigger for a melee attack and the left trigger for a lunge attack. Even with the basic attacks you still get that extra strength and speed to help.

Zombie:
The bad part about this is you are slow moving of course. The good part is they gave you a charm dance. This dance allows you to thrill your enemy to fight for you. As for the other moves you get projectile vomit, melee attack, and vomit mortar.

Demon:
I must say these are fun to play as. There are a few types of demons. Each one is set to a elemental power. Though, only the right character can get you the power you want. Zack is ice, Carrie is earth, Andy is fire, and Jennifer is heart. The demons other moves are melee attack, roll attack, and teleport.

Vampire:
This form can be pretty nice. A reason behind this is you can build up your amulet power. Meaning kill a enemy for blood to stay a vampire longer. The vampire has a nice selection of moves as well. These are teleport, fly, melee attack, and vampire beam.

Frankie:
Alright lets hope you understand this is a Frankenstein monster. So it's all about the strong attacks. The moves are melee attack, electro-beam attack, dash attack, and electro-static attack.

Vehicles:
These can be very nice to drive and a bit to use. Some have turret seats and passenger seats. So your pals can help kill the zombies along the ride even as a passenger. There are seven vehicles to drive.

Buggy:
A little dune buggy style vehicles. Which has a turret mounted on the back.

ATV:
This pretty much is self explanatory. It has a turret that the driver uses. It is shot and aimed using the right joystick.

Hovercraft:
Just like the name says pretty simple. This vehicle has a bomb turret.

Swan Boat:
Yes this is what it sounds like, a little foot paddle style boat. You have rockets on this boat. Each trigger has a rocket to speed things up a little. Even with the two it can reload a little slow.

UFO:
Self explanatory once again. You fly the sucker around and have to attacks. Which are death beam and laser blast.

Mech:
This is a mech built out of a old car and other junk. While it has a good set of weapons to use. It is really slow moving, so expect a long walk with this sucker. The weapons are a gatling gun, flamethrower, rockets, and your arm swipe.

Tank:
This vehicle is one to get use to. You have to aim the turret with the right joystick while lowering it with the left trigger and raising with the left bumper.

Gameplay:
Well if you have not understood this is a fun little crazy game. Well it is time to do that. This game contains nice smooth play with loads of enemies. I say loads because it contains over seventy monster types, and some pretty cool bosses to boot. This game has twenty levels, but each level is very big. So don't expect to just fly right through this game in a hour.

Now for the multiplayer play there is a pretty good selection of gametypes. FFA Deathmatch, CTF, FFA King Of The Hill, Team King Of The Hill, Monster Hunter, Team Deathmatch, and Dojo. I will explain Dojo and Monster Hunter.

Monster Hunter: is a game which everyone starts out as a human. The first person to die becomes a monster. A monster then has to kill the other players to turn them into monsters. The goal is to stay a human as long as you can.

Dojo: This is a cooperative deal or a battle. You are set in a arena which gives you waves of monsters. You can set the game to battle as a team to see how long you can last or see who can kill the most and collect the most moster tokens.

Graphics:
Well this game can do 1080p. So it can be pretty smooth for what it is worth, considering the game style. Though this is no first person shooter all for graphics game. So expect a nice blend of comic style cut scenes, old movie style horror movie looking scenes, and normal ones.

Sound:
It has a great number of songs to keep the game mood going. I have to say it would be nice to have a soundtrack for this game. No I am not saying the songs have words, but they do sound nice. As for the gameplay sounds there all in order.

Gameplay: 9.5/10
Graphics: 6.5/10
Sound: 7/10
Longevity: 8/10
Overall: 7.8/10