:: Board index  :: Feed  :: Clan Rules  :: Clan Ranks  :: Join Us  :: About Us  :: Donate  ::  Register ::  FAQ ::  Search :: Login ::  Cw Channel ::  Discord Invite :: 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Rate this Review:
1) Poor 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2) Not So Good 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
3) Average 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
4) Above Average 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5) Very Good 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Fallout: New Vegas
Fallout: New Vegas
November 20, 2010

Summary:
Fallout: New Vegas is an open world, sandbox game made by Obsidian Entertainment. It is set in the post-apocalyptic Mojave Desert, and as the name suggests, New Vegas (Las Vegas). This game allows players to create and customize their characters and attributes, much like in Fallout 3. It also allows players to explore the wasteland in its entirety, again, like Fallout 3. It combines elements from RPGs, FPSs and TPSs. It's open nature allows for an incredible variety in gameplay.

Detailed Review:

Gameplay:
Fallout: New Vegas plays almost identically to Fallout 3. Fallout: New Vegas brings back the V.A.T.S. combat system, where you can pause the game and proceed to target the individual parts of an enemy. However, Fallout: New Vegas brings new elements to the gameplay. One notable addition is that of iron sights, which allows players to sight their guns, a la Call of Duty. Also, the combat system has been revamped. Armor now can completely mitigate damage, and there are multiple types of ammunition which deal more damage to different types of targets. Also, players can craft ammo at special ammo presses. Melee combat has been made much more viable, with it ignoring armor. The difficulty has noticeably increased, with perks being gained every three levels and enemies being given more health. In New Vegas, there are several factions you can become affiliated with, or kill off, each giving their own missions. One final thing I should mention is Hardcore Mode. In Hardcore Mode, ammo has weight, you can die of hunger/dehydration and healing items heal over time. In all, Fallout: New Vegas has taken what Fallout 3 has done right, and added several new elements that are incredibly welcomed.

Not every gameplay feature is good, however. Fallout: New Vegas's difficulty spike, while normally enjoyable, makes the very beginning of the game difficult, especially if you happen to be attacked by armored enemies before you find armor piercing rounds. Also, there is not as wide of a variety of weapons as there were in Fallout 3. One last thing I need to mention is the ever present nuisance of glitches. While many have been patched, there are still some annoying glitches that can hamper gameplay. These problems pale in comparison to the many new and awesome gameplay elements added.

Score: 9/10

Story:
Fallout: New Vegas definitely makes up for the somewhat weak story in Fallout 3. In New Vegas, the player starts as a courier who is intercepted, assailed and left for dead. Upon awakening, the player goes out in search of the people who attempted to kill him. Meanwhile, there is a larger war brewing between the major factions of the Mojave. The NCR (New California Republic) is expanding into the Mojave, in order to bring the law to the wasteland. Caesar's Legion, a band of slavers and marauders, is expanding and actively fighting the NCR. Finally, New Vegas stands as its own sovereign "nation." You can join any of these factions, or choose to kill all of them. The story is well written, and the characters are pretty well developed.

The story is not perfect. The factions remain morally black and white, which was supposed to be avoided. Also, certain elements of the story (spoilers removed) appear to be forced or too quickly implemented. Some characters are extremely irritating (Veronica) and often do not move the story onwards.

Score: 8/10

Graphics:
Fallout: New Vegas has decent graphics when compared to most next generation games. Since there is a huge amount of content in the game, the graphics have been reduced accordingly. Upon close inspection, textures (especially environmental textures) are low resolution. Many of these problems are a non issue, and the graphics on characters and items are detailed. Overall, the graphics are quite good, given the amount of content included.

Score: 8/10

Sound:
Fallout: New Vegas has an impressive soundtrack, quite possibly the best I have heard in a game in a long time. It includes the best music from Fallout 3, while including remixes of tracks from Fallout 1 and 2. The music adapts to situations in the game, depending on the actions of the player. The sound effects for the weapons are also good. The voice acting is incredible, with almost all of the characters sounding believable.

Score: 10/10

Longevity:

Fallout: New Vegas is a game that will consume hours of your life. The main quest alone takes at least 60 hours to complete, and that is barely scratching the surface. There are a huge number of side quests that, at times, seem daunting. With the huge amounts of character customization, factions and in game locations, it allows for multiple play-throughs. With the massive amounts area to explore, the game can become tedious.

Score: 10/10

Final Words:
Fallout: New Vegas is an impressive game. It allows for unparalleled exploration and customization, and will last you for a long time. It does many things right, while managing to avoid most game breaking problems. Overall, Fallout: New Vegas is a great title.

Now it's time for the final score. Before I give me rating, I need to explain my system. In my system, a 1/10 is a crime against humanity. A 5/10 is average. A 10/10 means it is the best game ever created. If you were to compare my system to that of say, Gamespot, then my 5/10 would be roughly equal to their 7/10. Fallout: New Vegas, in my opinion, recieves:

Gameplay: 9/10
Story: 8/10
Graphics: 8/10
Sound: 10/10
Longevity: 10/10
Total: 9/10

Attachments:
File comment: The Mojave.
flltnv-20101124-230523.png
flltnv-20101124-230523.png [ 763.11 KiB | Viewed 3597 times ]
File comment: "Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit!"
flltnv-20101124-230435.png